Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Help

We decided to read The Help prior to the movie release date, so that we could read the book and see the movie immediately upon its opening.  Unfortunately, I have not seen the movie to date, but at least one of our book club members has.  We'll begin the conversation here, with hopes that in time, once we've all seen the movie, our discussion may be complete.

I enjoyed the book, and am very excited to see how the casting in the movie compares to the character development seen in the book.

At the end of the book, the author admits to using a Bob Dylan song "Times are Changing" even though the song was released years after the time period encompassed in the book.  What do you think about authors taking liberties in historical fiction?  How does a reader know what to, and not to accept as fact?  Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the book - and the movie, though the movie (naturally) represented somethings differently. A few friends who read the book too noted that they felt uncomfortable with a white author tackling this period of history. Did you?

    ReplyDelete